Every year, our patients have questions about Halloween candy.
Children love candy, and we do too! Help your kids have a cavity-free Halloween by keeping these things in mind:
- AVOID sticky candies like caramels and taffy. Sticky candies can pull off crowns, fillings, and sealants. They also stick to the groves of your teeth.
- DO go for the soft chocolates. The oils in soft chocolates coat teeth, making it difficult for sugar and bacteria to damage teeth.
- STAY AWAY from sour candies – they are the most harmful to teeth. Sour or tart candies make you pucker because they are acidic. Acids weaken the enamel of the teeth.
- TIME IT RIGHT. It is better for your teeth (but maybe not your tummy) to eat multiple pieces of candy at once, instead of grabbing one piece at a time over the course of the day. It takes one hour for acid levels in your mouth to return to normal!
- ALWAYS brush your teeth after eating candy.
Have a fun and cavity-free Halloween this year!